I’m amazed at how frequently things go wrong. In my recent experiences 80% of the time. Here are some details:
– Failure – Had new garage door installed. Tech shorted out a wire to my alarm system which took out the phone line for 3 days (phone company doesn’t work weekends).
– Failure – Had normal maintenance done on a vehicle. Tech didn’t properly connect a wire and ended up causing an engine light warning so had to take it to another dealer while on a long trip.
– Failure – Another dealer quoted a huge amount to fix engine oil leaks on another vehicle; said they would only do it be replacing all gaskets. Took it to another shop and found all gaskets but one "dry as a bone," and replaced the one actually leaking (which is known as a high failure on this engine). Cost 1/5 of what original dealer quoted. Won’t talk here about two other failures with the same dealer.
– Failure – Had old trees trimmed back to reduce probability of major limbs falling off. They cut wrong limb off on one tree.
– Success – Had bridge and deck boards replaced, and house stained/painted. All went well
So of 5 major maintenance projects in the past five months only one (20%) was done with no glitches.
I’ve always said that I will never be out of work, given the number of times organizations screw up.