ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
Many organizations have recurring problems that their corrective action process does not effectively address. The cause is often
We’ve conducted this course more than 500 times in the past fourteen years. One company reduced the number of paperwork errors by more than 90% within two weeks; other projects have had a bottom line impact of $100k-$500k. The course is relevant for dealing with customer complaints, equipment or product failures, audit findings, and many other
If you’d like to attend an open-enrollment course see the ASQ Learning Offerings RCA page. ASQ will also bring the course to your facility. If you’d like to take an online version of the course go to the Resources page. The course is also available for virtual delivery.
Many participants have indicated this is the best course they ever attended!
Risk management has gotten much greater attention since the turn of the century. Many quality management standards now require risk management or at least risk-based thinking (RBT), which means that organizations need to have a framework for understanding the steps involved in identifying, assessing, treating and monitoring risks to achieving business/quality objectives.
We have created a 1-day workshop focused on understanding the RBT requirements within ISO 9001, which also includes discussion of risk-focused standards such as ISO 31000 & 31010, as well as the COSO ERM framework. The course then provides attendees with a comprehensive view of the risk management landscape, allowing them to decide what level of depth makes sense for their organizational context.
Risk-Based Quality Auditing
With the introduction of risk-based thinking in ISO 9001:2015, and more in-depth risk management requirements in other quality management system requirements (e.g., AS 9100, IATF 16949, ISO 13485), it is important for quality audit programs to take on a risk perspective. This means both proactive and reactive risk-based audit planning and execution using both qualitative and quantitative methods to help prioritize audit activities. This 1-day course presents multiple options for integrating
MEASURING PROCESS & ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE
Organizations often have difficulty maintaining a consistent focus on strategic priorities. One mechanism for accomplishing this using performance metrics aligned to strategic objectives deployed throughout the organization. This workshop provides a structured approach for selecting, defining, reporting and managing metrics that allow everyone in the organization to effectively manage and improve processes for which they are responsible. A course participant from a service organization quickly learned the value of process thinking when trying to identify metrics.
If you’d like to attend an open-enrollment course see the ASQ Learning Offerings MPOP page for upcoming dates, and ASQ also offers a virtual course, and/or will bring the course to your facility. If you’d like to take an online course go here.
PROBLEM SOLUTION GENERATION
Organizations and individuals are always trying to solve analytical and/or creative problems. Far too often the process of brainstorming is relied on as the primary method to help identify potential solutions. However, there are more powerful options available that are more rigorous and typically generate a greater number of possibilities that are likely to be more potent and reliable. These
The foundation of success for every organization is
It is also critical in today’s environment to integrate process management with IT and
PROCESS FAILURE MODE & EFFECTS ANALYSIS
When you’re designing or changing a process it’s useful to think through what all could go wrong, what the impact would be, and how well the current controls in the process will be able to deal with it. A pFMEA is a formally designed way of conducting such a
This course presents how to get organized for a pFMEA (such as who to involve and what information should be available beforehand), how to step through the process to identify the risks, and how to review the output for potential actions. Other uses of the pFMEA, such as for training and process maintenance planning are also discussed, as well as how to do FMEAs in a high-product-mix environment.
It’s one thing to bring together a group in order to improve a process or implement a quality management system, but it’s another to have that group work effectively and efficiently. This is the role of a facilitator, to bring organizational and technical skills that help the group achieve their mission.
OTHER EDUCATION & TRAINING
In an age where everyone has access to the same capital & equipment, knowledge is the greatest tool for competitive advantage. We help companies increase performance by providing specially developed courses targeted at not only improving the work
- Project Management
- Change Agent Skills
- Statistical Process Control
- Understanding ISO 9000 (and ISO/TS 16949)
- Process Analysis and Improvement Methods
- Advanced Quality Planning
If you’d like to improve the skills of your employees so they can better manage and improve your processes Contact us.
GUEST SPEAKER/WEBINAR PRESENTER
Management retreats, professional conferences, and many other groups
- Critical Issues in Common Risk Assessment Methods
- Decision Quality Management
- Risk Ranking Audit Nonconformities
- Dealing with “Can’t Find Root Cause” Situations
- Comparing 8D, A3 and 5Ys Problem Solving
- Why You Should Use ISO 19011
- Monte Carlo Simulation for the
- Using Mistake Proofing to Prevent or Detect Human Error
- Would a Bowtie Make Your Risk Assessment More Presentable?
- Clarifying the Risk-Based Thinking Requirements in ISO 9001:2015
- Making the Problem Statement Your #1 Goal in Root Cause Analysis
- Augmenting ISO 9001 with ISO 31000 for Risk Management
- Six Approaches for Finding Root Causes
- Dealing with Delayed Responses to Corrective Action Requests
- Using Analytics to Plan Internal Quality Audits
- Risk-Based Quality Audits
- Diagnosing, Predicting and Preventing Human Error
- Problem Solution Generation Options
- Root Cause Analysis for Project Managers
- Selecting the Optimum Problem Solving Approach
- The Role of Root Cause Analysis in
- Selecting the Right Tools for Root Cause Analysis
- Maximizing the Yield and Minimizing the Damage from Performance Metrics
- e-QM: Quality Management in a Digital World
- Barriers to Effective Root Cause Analysis
- Complex Adaptive Systems and Quality Management: Are They Compatible?
- Critical Thinking: A Fundamental Requirement for 21st Century Organizations
Sometimes there simply aren’t enough resources available within an organization to carry out a specific high-need project. We’ve provided expertise as a project manager, process improvement specialist, process facilitator and/or technical writer to help organizations implement projects such as:
- Conduct an organizational assessment based on a knowledge management framework
- Write a European Quality Award application
- Design, document and implement a quality management system
- Review production processes for control adequacy, and facilitate cross-functional development of process failure mode & effects analyses (pFMEA)
- Develop the requirements and conceptual design for a
computer aidedprocess planning (CAPP) system
- Improve the strategic planning process to make it more holistic
- Facilitate a root cause analysis to confirm findings of an internal investigation
Musings: My Blog
Ever seen a dog at work? For example, I was watching one searching bags for drugs in an airport. They are totally committed and love it. Question: How many people are that happy at their work? What does it say about mission, culture, etc?
Given the COVID shutdowns I've not traveled any this year, and the time at home gave wife and me the opportunity to binge watch some TV series we'd not seen before (and in many cases hadn't even hear of). Most involve spies, detectives, and/or science fiction, Here's...
For some time I (and many others) have been writing and speaking on how common widely used risk assessment methods actually introduce risk rather than help reduce it. Here's a great talk by Doug Hubbard on the topic:...
First let me state that I am not a medical professional, and have not read all the studies that have been done on whether or not HCQ (+ zinc and azithromycin) are effective in treating COVID. In the limited info I have read I believe it's unlikely to be effective...
You may know that I teach and write on Performance Metrics, and get really frustrated when I see someone use them badly. Here's an example from an article in The Japan Times about the Boeing 787 MAX: "...the FAA completed a risk analysis that found that the...
The need for quality professionals is likely to be less as Industry 4.0 comes more fully to fruition. The digitalization of everything should significantly reduce the opportunities for errors. One thing that will increase is the need for information security ... at...
An analysis of Industry 4.0 reveals that a lot of work, both physical and cognitive, formerly done by humans will be digitized. This means the operations aspect of those processes will be more reliable, but only if the design of the digital systems is very good....
Good risk management involves monitoring leading indicators (known as KRIs, or Key Risk Indicators) that allow an organization to see that something has changed, which means the ability to respond quicker. Obviously someone was asleep at the wheel in many places,...